So, I would like to officially announce that I have to be the world's worst blogger. I enjoy reading them, but there've been many times that I've sat down and started a blog and never finished. So let's catch up a bit.
Elijah will be turning 5 in 3 weeks. How is this possible? I'm simply in awe at how fast the last 5 years have been! We will be started the "homeschooling thing" in August! My little guy is not so little any more.
Elliott and Jesse are almost 3 1/2!!!! What changes we've seen in those years! They are too funny and too ornery (ornery--meaning "getting into things that they shouldn't and then grin at you with the cutest grin they can give you when they get caught)!!! I give that definition because I learned when I moved here that there are two different definition for ornery--which still makes me laugh :)
Baby girl, Lily, is not so much of a baby any more either. She love her brothers and loves doing what they do--which includes getting into things that she shouldn't. She's so tenderhearted!!! If you would've asked me if I wanted a little girl before we had one, I probably would've told you no because I didn't want to deal with girl moods that come with girls! Lily's changed my opinion!!! She's such a sweet heart! Loving beyond words and yet, when she is "ugly" with her brother, she immediately changes when corrected! I love it! She's my little girl and I'm so blessed to have her!!!!
I'm guessing you're thinking what in the world does all of that have to do with black thumbs. Nothing, but that's the update on the kids :)
Black thumbs typically change over time. One plant at a time. Not with me :) Shortly after the twins were born, I planted a couple of short rows of seeds up at my in-law hoping to save us some money when it came time to feed the twins baby food. Well, the deer at more of that food than we did. Enough said on that first adventure.
I've since had hanging flower pots on my porch that lasted, oh, about a weeks before they dried up and looked terrible. I really do have the world's largest black thumb.
Well, I'm determined to change it, or so I hope :)
About 3 weeks ago, I decided, while I was out buying moth balls to put around our yard to ward off the ever growing snake population we have, that I was going to get a medium sized tub at the local Home Depot and I was going to plant me some seed. *(Can't you just see me with my long skirt and my apron with a do-rag wrapped around my head--haha!!!) I picked up the bucket, grabbed a couple of bags of Miracle Grow potting mix, some seed, and don't forget my moth balls and headed to the check out.
We got home and planted us some seeds :) Now understand that I've never done anything like this before--that is on my own. I've dropped seeds for my Grannie Fannie and Grandma Strickling, but I've never planted or grown anything on my own. So the idea of planting too many seeds never entered my mind.
So in my tub--picture you medium sided Rubbermaid that you store things in and go a bit smaller (pictures will come soon--I promise)--I added a bag and a half of potting mix, and then 2 bags of green bean seed, 3 tomato plants and 4 squash plants. I added some more dirt and then we covered it just like the box instructions told us to.
I've been the faithful gardener. It does help immensely that it's directly off my front porch--maybe I'm the lazy gardener :) BUT, I've faithfully watered said box every day twice a day since I planted it.
And as they say in the movies--"Plant it and it will grow" --and it did :)
So as the green beans started popping up I started to realize that we were going to run out of room.
So, Walmart I went to get some more tubs and dirt :)
After a trip to walmart and my mother-in-law's back porch. I officially have:
2 tubs of squash--with a total of about 12 squash plants
1 tub of 3 tomato plants
1 container that has a ton of herb seeds still germinating--lets just say, I dumped bags again
1 jalapeno plant that I'm hoping will give off enough for me to make some salsa--yay!!!
2 small flower pots that have 1 bag of green pepper seeds germinating--which are sprouting :) and will be transplanted into my last remaining big pot soon.
1 tub that I just planted with cucumber seeds---which I realized weren't the cuc's for pickling, but I can share the others with friends :)
And the original tub that still has the ever growing green bean population............and 2 packets of okra seeds that I dumped in when I pulled out the squash and tomato's.
So, Have I "bit off" more than my black thumb can "chew"? I don't know. We'll see. I will however say that I've laughed more over the oohs and AH's that I've gotten over how many seeds I've planted. I'm learning as I grow these plants, and I'm hoping for some growth :)
2 comments:
LOL.. you are learning, girl. I am STILL laughing over how many seeds you planted. Steve and I dropped by Lowes yesterday and when I saw the seed packets at the front door you immediately came to mind. Enjoy your adventure in becoming a green thumb. You are doing better than I am! That is why Steve is our gardener!
welcome back to blogland, Kim. We don't have the time, space, or long enough growing season here to plant seeds. We're all about plants that are just about ready to produce fruit. We buy the biggest, tallest tomato plants we can find. Good luck with your adventure.
Post a Comment