Thursday, July 24, 2008

Please keep me off Nanny 911

Did I get your attention? LOL!

Let me preface this entire entry with this statement--I do not claim to be the great guru of discipline, but I do however know that I have some serious expectation for my boys.

Tonight during the final feeding for the twins, I stumbled across the show Nanny 911. Now I tend to not watch these shows--they tend to send my not so patient self over the edge--but this one I watched. I could not believe all of the backtalk, biting, spitting, screaming, and hitting that that mother put up with--all of which was directed toward her. Her children were clearly oblivious the the verse Ephesians 6:2--"Honor thy father and thy mother...". I couldn't believe how disrespectful they were to her, and she took it all! I know that sometimes a lot of these situations are edited so viewers will watch, but I couldn't believe what they aired!

I first of all would not want to let the whole world know that I couldn't handle my children! I also would not stand by and let my children get that much control over my home! God clearly defined the roles of a family, and my children's role is not to rule me!

Elijah, Elliott and Jesse are gifts from God, and I know that these precious gifts bring great responsibility for me! I know that who they grow up to be is directly related to what Jason and I teach them and what we allow them to do. I am reminded of the verse Proverbs 19:17 "Discipline your son while there is hope..." I have hope right now. The boys are still young and moldable. They still have a tender heart toward discipline, and their desire right now is to please Jason and me. I however realize there is coming a time when they will not be quite as moldable, so now is the time to get them "straight".

I am not even beginning to say that this process for me is easy. There are so many days when I am too tired to care and letting Elijah do whatever is much easier. It is my responsibility and my only "job" (right now) to be sure that these boys are brought up in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4--also can be read "bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." (NASB)) I am actually a little nervous of the day that I am having two going through the twos--one can be a little crazy.

I thank the Lord that I don't have to go through this process of rearing my boys blindly. Bless that mother's heart tonight--she was going through it blindly and that's why she asked for help. I am not in her situation. I have the manual--my Bible, and I have the support in my loving husband & family, and godly friends who will lovingly help me when I need it the most. I love the fact that I can count on them all to follow Proverbs 27:17 when it says "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

I write all of this to say, please pray for me, my friends. This process is daily, any sometimes I am "weary in well doing". I truly want to rear my boys to be men who love God and follow His will and plans for their lives.

On a much happier and lighter note.

Jason started a new "job" this week!!! He's officially an "on the road again" tech. He has a road truck and does field maintenance for Progress Energy's fleet. I am so proud of him.

Elijah is Elijah! He's your typical two year old who is learning so quickly. I am so amazed every day at how much he is learning. I am letting him be a boy right now, but I think I will need to get some "at home" preschool things soon. Just something to give him a little bit of a challenge.

Elliott and Jesse are continuing to grow and change daily. Elliott is getting closer to crawling, and Jesse's starting to get more the the army crawl down. They both do the "fish out of water" wiggle really good! We've made it through all of the veggies without any food allergies to report, and we have a few more fruits to try out. I can't wait to find out how much they weigh--2 more weeks for their 6 month check up--I'll report it then!

Well I should head off to bed--I have so much to do and so little time to get it all accomplished. Where are my "merry maids" when I need them. LOL!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Parenting is the hardest job of all and when you think you have it figured out, it all changes. Consistency is the key.... always remember that. I know how it feels to be extremely tired and having to still be responsible for your own kids.

We didn't have "terrible twos" at this house. It was more like "Headstrong threes". I can honestly look back and say that we haven't had "terribles" at any age. There have been challenges, oh yes, but not terrible.

I can't get over the people on those types of shows, either. I usually say... "Let them spend a week at our house...."